Trekking In Liguria, In The Basin Of The High Valle Orba
We decide to do a trek in the basin of the high Valle Orba, in the Genoese hinterland, in a day of intense summer heat. We cross a territory characterized by lush vegetation with stony furrows but without the usual clear waterways.
In the hamlets of Urbe, Martina and Acquabianca we notice the traces of the past, between the red roofs of the churches and the wooden beams of farms that have hosted generations of farmers and iron craftsmen.
We head to Tiglieto best time to visit mexico, a town that boasts a structure of medieval origin and whose name derives from the many lime trees that once grew in the area.
It still seems to hear the scents of that ancient time penetrating the chestnut woods that represented the subsistence of the inhabitants of this strip of land that seems to have escaped the dominance of the sea to preserve its delightful peace.
On the traces of the devout pilgrims we venture on a loop course of about 6 kilometers that runs between the two banks of the river Orba, crossing bridges of various kinds, from wood to rusty metal, which make some feel the thrill of suspension in the void , up to the suggestive Romanesque stone bridge, with five arches.
Refreshing coolness, more for the spirit than for the dehydrated body, when we reach the Monastery of Santa Maria and Santa Croce di Tiglieto, for the bucolic frame that envelops it as well as silence, which brings us back to the life of the industrious monks who in the Middle Ages they lived there.
The structure, of Romanesque structure, founded in 1120, is formed by the church, the convent and the refectory on the three sides of the cloister, bordered on the fourth side by spaces for agricultural use. It is the first Cistercian foundation in Italy and outside the land of Burgundy, the region where the order arose.
Thanks to this precious presence dedicated not only to prayer, to work that guaranteed self-sufficiency, the plain became extremely productive, from the point of view of the pastoral silvo and for the remediation interventions that also involved the local communities. Traces of this activity can be found in the remains of old mills, furnaces to cook the bricks needed to expand the monumental complex.
At the end of 1200, after a period of robbery and aggression that troubled the population, a gradual decline began, forcing the yield of the Abbey that, in the second half of 1600, now uninhabited, entered the heritage of the Raggi family that cares still management. Recently the monastic complex has been the subject of restoration work, and restored to its former glory.